Since the 1990s, when the client–server model of computing became predominant, computers of the comparable class are instead usually known as servers to recognize that they usually “serve” end users at their “client” computers.
Midrange systems are primarily high-end network servers and other types of servers that can handle the large-scale processing of many business applications. Although not as powerful as mainframe computers, they are less costly to buy, operate, and maintain than mainframe systems and thus meet the computing needs of many organizations. Midrange systems have become popular as powerful network servers to help manage large Internet Web sites, corporate intranets and extranets, and other networks. Today, midrange systems include servers used in industrial process-control and manufacturing plants and play major roles in computer-aided manufacturing (CAM). They can also take the form of powerful technical workstations for computer-aided design (CAD) and other computation and graphics-intensive applications. Midrange system are also used as front-end servers to assist mainframe computers in telecommunications processing and network management.
Boatman Consultants have worked on all models on the IBM Midrange platform from the IBM S/36 right through to the Power 9 I series.
Projects completed include:
- MPS – Material Planning System written on IBM S/36 for TRIO Consultancy services ltd
- Various accounting systems written in RPG II on IBM S/34 and S/36 for LS3 (London Software Specialists Systems) , Bluebird Software, JBA UK Ltd
- Engineer Call booking and registration system written in Synon/2 for Philips Whirlpool
Over the past 22 years, Boatman Consultants have support French Connection in the UK, Canada and USA with their legacy IBM Midrange systems. Throughout this period , Boatman Consultants have re-written the following business areas:
- Salesman Samples
- Factory Delivery logistics
- Warehouse Management Systems
- Sales Order Entry
- Store and Customer Deliveries
- Replenishment and Stock Control
Get a Free Quote